Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
My husband does not like the gooey icing of German Chocolate cake, so I found this pretty slick alternative! It has all the flavors, but a very distinct "crunch", it almost caramelizes on top of the cake. Try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised! I do not use the nuts as my husband does not like nuts in his cakes, only cookies! This is perfect for a 13x9 cake, I often use a Swiss Chocolate cake mix.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut (sweetened is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 drop pure vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Spread mixture over a slightly warm cake.
- Set your oven to broil.
- Place cake approximately 5 inches from the heat source and broil until topping bubbles and browns slightly.
- WATCH CAREFULLY AS THIS CAN BURN VERY EASILY!
Exactly what I wanted - a coconut topping that didn't scream "this is so bad for you" to go on top of The Fantabulous Whole Wheat Carrot Cake. I halved the recipe, and used light margarine, which worked perfectly.
I used this on Mmmm Smooth & Creamy Coconut Cheesecake Mmmm Smooth & Creamy Coconut Cheesecake for Easter. Perfect! Can't wait to try it on a regular cake! Thanks for posting.
Can't get any better than this!