Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Broccoli is loaded with lots of vitamins A and C and several minerals, it is one of the most healthful veggies. This is a spiced up version that is low in fat and not low on flavor. The recipe comes from Williams Sonoma Essentials of Healthful Cooking.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 garlic cloves, sliced crosswise into thin slices
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 680.38 g broccoli
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat combine the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Heat, stirring frequently, just until the garlic begins to turn golden on the edges, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the oil and garlic in separate containers.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, trimming the stalks until they are about 1-2 inches long.
- Place the cut broccoli in steamer basket over boiling water, cover tightly and stem until crisp tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Place broccoli immediately into a serving dish, sprinkle with garlic flakes and 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- The remaining oil can be saved and used in other dishes later.
Great! I threw the whole thing in the oven to keep warm at 350 for about 5-10 min at the end. Could also benefit from some Parmesan cheese...but really, what couldn't?
Liked this side dish; did not strain it. I used the high end on the garlic, but surprisingly I think I could have added even more. A little squeeze of lemon over this went nicely.
Tucking this easy, flavorful veggie recipe into my best-of-the-best file. We absolutely loved this. I like that it's easily adaptable, too. If we don't feel in the mood for spice, we can just omit the red pepper flakes. Loved the garlic oil. This helps change up our weekly broccoli. Thank you! Made for ZWT8 Family Picks