Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Golden dressing is a classic Japanese vinegar dressing thickened with egg yolks, which complements the sweetness of the broccoli. From "Japanese Vegetarian Cooking", 1986, by Leslie Downer.
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dashi (basic Japanese soup stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon light soy sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons honey or 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- toasted white sesame seeds
- Break the broccoli into florets and parboil in lightly salted boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until just tender; the stems should still be a little crisp. Drain immediately and plunge into cold water to stop cooking.Drain again and set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in the top of a double boiler and heat gradually for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and becomes creamy. Cool to room temperature.
- Pat the broccoli dry with paper towels and arrange attractively in 4 small bowls. Spoon the dressing on top, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve.