Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is not a Broccoli Cheese Soup, or a Cream of Broccoli soup...this is just vegetables. It does have a starch in it, so if you are in a diet that eliminates starches, now you know! Low fat, and very healthy. I like broccoli, celery, and basil, so I like this! Plus it is sooo healthy!
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 158.51 ml celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1182.95 ml chicken broth
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped broccoli
- 14.79 ml dried basil, whole
- Saute onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add potato, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, and saute for 10 minutes. Add broth, broccoli, and basil; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer half of the broccoli mixture to a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. (I just use my handheld blender and puree it all!).
- Serve in soup bowls.
All I had been wanting was a basic soup with no bells and whistles and this one was terrific. I used a frozen bag of the Steamer broccoli, red onion, and did use a tad less basil. Also used my immersion blender and left the soup chunkier. Super easy to make, guilt free, and great tasting soup. Made and reviewed for the Football Pool 2015-2016.
New Years Resolutions are happening, and I'm trying to lose weight. Especially from all the sweets I ate over Chirstmas! I really enjoyed this broccoli soup. I reduced the olive oil, but left some because olive oil is a "good" oil, and in addition to dieting, I'm getting older and need those good oils for my eyes, skin and hair. Loved the basil!
I made this exactly as posted, except I used 2 T. of olive oil, which was plenty. I thought the amount of dried basil seemed like a lot, but it was perfect. I used fresh broccoli from the farm, which I steamed in the microwave first. It was tasty and filling and, best of all, guilt-free! Thanks for sharing.