Recipe by breezermom
This is not a Broccoli Cheese Soup, or a Cream of Broccoli soup...this is just vegetables. It does have a starch in it, so if you are in a diet that eliminates starches, now you know! Low fat, and very healthy. I like broccoli, celery, and basil, so I like this! Plus it is sooo healthy!
Top Review by lauralie41
All I had been wanting was a basic soup with no bells and whistles and this one was terrific. I used a frozen bag of the Steamer broccoli, red onion, and did use a tad less basil. Also used my immersion blender and left the soup chunkier. Super easy to make, guilt free, and great tasting soup. Made and reviewed for the Football Pool 2015-2016.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 2⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil in a Dutch oven until tender. Add potato, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, and saute for 10 minutes. Add broth, broccoli, and basil; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer half of the broccoli mixture to a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. (I just use my handheld blender and puree it all!).
- Serve in soup bowls.