1/2 Photos of Broccoli Pesto for Bread or As Side Dish
Would you believe this is great? And you can eat it with bread, especially your own fresh bread? This is also a great side dish with any meal. You could substitute the cheese with another flavourful type, and you could also use toasted almonds instead of hazelnuts, or leave out the nuts entirely. As a dip: use all ingredients. As a side dish: serve warm and use ingredients to taste, but lemon juice is a must! Taste it in the processor -- your taste has the final say!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh broccoli (including stems, sliced)
- 1 ounce fresh basil
- 1 ounce fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (or shop-bought minced garlic)
- 2 ounces toasted hazelnuts, flaked (flaked almonds can be substituted)
- 5 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (Parmesan can be substituted)
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- fruity virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1It's best to use a head of broccoli, as the nutritious stems are also used for this.
- 2Trim the stalk ends, then slice off thinly into a pot with a little water.
- 3Parboil the stalks in boiling water, then add the florets. Cook for only about 3 minutes or until still al dente, then drain.
- 4Rinse basil and parsley and dry lightly in a clean kitchen towel.
- 5Put the broccoli, basil, parsley, garlic, nuts, lemon juice and cheese in a blender and pulse.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste. (Please DO taste!).
- 7Add olive oil in a thin stream through the funnel until the processor can handle the ingredients and the broccoli pesto reaches a thick, paste-like consistency -- or to your taste. You want a firm consistency -- about 1/4 - 1/3 cup will be enough.
- 8Can be used at room temperature as a spread on bread, rolls and crackers, or as a warmed-up side dish.
- 9SERVINGS: as a spread it will obviously serve more people than when served as a side dish, so that is a little hard to calculate!
- 10TIME TO MAKE: I added in the time needed to toast the nuts in a pan.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Pesto for Bread or As Side Dish
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.7
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 51.9 mg
- Sodium 446.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.2 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 33.9 g