Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 fluid ounces dry vermouth
- 1⁄2 lb double Gloucester cheese (or any mild, cheddar style cheese)
- 3 cups cream or 3 cups milk
- white pepper
- Peel the onion and slice thinly.
- Clean the broccoli well and remove any leaves from the stalks.
- Cut the stalks into thin medallions, and cut the florets into roughly 2-inch chunks.
- You may want to reserve 4 or 6 nice florets to steam and use as garnish in the finished soup bowls.
- Melt the butter in a 6-quart soup pot and add the onion and broccoli pieces.
- Sauté until softened, but don't brown the onion.
- Add the vermouth and let it come to a simmer.
- Grate the cheese (for a real treat, use Stilchester cheese if you can find it) and add to the soup pot.
- Purée in a food processor or with a hand held blender until well puréed and the cheese is incorporated.
- Return to the pot and add the milk or cream and add salt and white pepper to taste.