Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from the Skinnytaste website, this is a fantastic and satisfying soup that is easy on the calories. With this much flavor you won't miss them!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- salt and fresh pepper
- 4 cups about 2 heads broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices low-fat American cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Chop onion, carrot, celery, garlic in a chopper or mini food processor.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
- Add chicken broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add cheddar and American cheese, stir well and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, quickly blend part of the soup for a quick second or two. If you don't have an immersion blender, remove about 1-2 cups of potatoes and broccoli, place it in your chopper, then add it back to the soup. This helps thicken it a bit.
This soup is GREAT! I doubled this and didn't cut the broccoli because I was too tired and lazy, but followed everything else exactly. This soup was so comforting after a long, long day of working. Thanks for a definite keep CaliforniaJan. Made for Photo Tag Spring 2013.