Broccoli bread is one of those "wing it" recipes I frequently make as an appetizer, or for picnics, etc., I use the same bread dough measurements and instructions that I use for my sausage bread (# 23872). The measurements for this broccoli filling are approximate. I do have a very good (imho) complete broccoli bread recipe posted (its # 42332), but my family prefers this filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash broccoli and drain well.
- 2Trim the broccoli (remove tough leaves) cut off stems.
- 3Peel stems and chop into small pieces.
- 4Cut head into small florets, set aside.
- 5Place oil and onions (if using) into a frying pan, and saute until clear.
- 6Add garlic, and cook about 1 minute more (do not let it brown).
- 7Add broccoli stems, salt& pepper and cook about 2 minutes.
- 8Add wine, cover pan and cook over very low heat for about 5 minutes.
- 9Add florets and cook a few minutes more, or until all is tender (stir gently so florets don't break).
- 10Drain excess liquid from broccoli and allow to cool.
- 11Place on dough (as in sausage bread Nana's Sausage Bread) and roll up.
- 12You may use smaller pieces of dough (say 4 x 6 inches) to make rolls instead of a loaf.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Bread Filling
Serving Size: 1 (768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.4
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 205.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 17.5 g