Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Sick of sandwiches? want something different for lunch? this light and satisfying recipe is just the thing to fix those blues. I found this in the Australian brand name recipe cook book. I had invited some friends for lunch and wanted to give them something different. This recipe was a huge hit they left with a smile and the recipe as well.
- 175 g bacon
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 250 g broccoli, cooked in small florets
- 90 g butter or 90 g margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, seperated
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb, crushed (savoury)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Remove rind from bacon and chop finely.
- Place in well greased pan with the onion and fry until cooked, then drain and set aside.
- Make a white sauce with the butter, flour, seasonings and milk; add half the cheese and set aside, covered for 5 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, carefully fold into the sauce, mixing until no streaks remain - do not over beat.
- Spoon into a lined, greased and flour-dusted large swiss roll pan and bake for 40 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, scatter the buscuit crumbs over a large sheet of greaseproof paper. Gently mix the bacon, onion, broccoli and remaining cheese together.
- Carefully turn the cooked roll onto the paper, scatter the bacon mixture evenly over the surface and roll up.
- Serve hot, warm or cool in slices with a salad if desired.