Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- In a large cook pot place undrained tomatoes, sauerkraut with applesauce and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add brisket so that mixture can cover some of brisket.Cover and simmer until meat is fork tender ( about 3 hours ); spooning sauce over brisket intermittently.
- When meat is done, place brisket on serving platter.
- Remove excess fat from pot. Season sauce to taste ( more sugar, spices etc. ). Thicken if desired with a bit of cornstarch mixed with some cold water and add to sauce and cook and stir till thickened.
- For best serving, prepare brisket ahead of time, let cool completely, slice meat, cover with sauce and refrigerate till needed ( may be frozen ). Gently reheat and serve slices of meat and sauce.