Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson. *You can make this overnight and once cooked, you can refrigerate it. When meat is cooled, slice thinly. Place in a Dutch oven, cover with sauce and reheat on stove top over medium-low until hot and bubbling.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, may need additional
- 1 (4 -5 lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, condensed
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Rub flour into brisket on both sides and place in slow cooker stoneware.
- In a bowl, combine onion soup mix, peppercorns, tomato soup, and beef stock.
- Pour mixture over brisket; cover and cook on high for 6 hours, until beef is very tender.
- Transfer beef to a deep platter and slice thinly.
- Stir brown sugar and vinegar into the sauce and pour over the meat or pass sauce separately in a gravy boat.
I thought this was a nice change to our traditional brisket, beef, or roast. I have used this with a roast and beef steaks. It is easy to do and my whole family liked it. Today, I needed something quick to put together and I choose this again for beef steaks and threw in small potatoes and carrots into the pot to cook with it. I used a little more broth to accommodate this. But in several hours a nice meal will be ready whether I am home or not. Good flavor!