Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Thursday magazine, this was submitted by Tasneem Sajjad.
- 2 brinjals, big and long sized
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 tablespoons oil
- oil, to deep fry
- yoghurt, as required
- Slice brinjals lengthwise.
- Wash well.
- Deep fry till golden brown.
- Place in a tray separately.
- Heat 2 tbsps.
- oil in a pan.
- Add onion and stir-fry till it's golden brown in colour.
- Add tomato, the masala powders (viz., turmeric and chilli powders) and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cook briefly for about 5 minutes, till the tomato softens.
- Put this mixture in a blender and blend till you obtain a paste.
- Take a large (Width-wise) skillet.
- Place the fried brinjals in it in such a way that they form a flower pattern.
- Now put some of the prepared paste mixture on each slice of brinjal.
- Form layers in all the brinjals, i.
- ,on top of the sliced brinjals, place another slice of brinjal and apply the masala.
- Form layers till all the brinjals are set.
- Cover the skillet.
- Allow the brinjals to cook on very low flame for 5-10 minutes.
- Take yoghurt in another large bowl.
- Beat well till it is of smooth consistency.
- Add garlic and salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- DO NOT ADD WATER.
- To serve, take a circular dinner plate.
- Cover it with a layer of yoghurt.
- Place the brinjals over it in the shape of a flower.
- Add a dollop of yoghurt on top of each slice.
- Enjoy your brinjal yoghurt with your favourite curry and rice on the side.