2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Angela Marie's Note:
This is one of my favorites. Posting this in lieu of posting in the Brining Class of 8/12/2006 Bon Appetit
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 frozen turkey
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
- 1 gallon water, iced
- 1Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stock pot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 2Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. (corrosive free container). Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 12 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
- 3A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500°F Combine the Apple, Onion. Cinnamon stick and Cup of Water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. This makes sure the stuffing is cooked properly.
- 4Remove the bird from the brine and rinse inside and out with cold water several times. Discard brine.
- 5Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with a neutral oil. (canola comes to mind).
- 6Roast on lowest lever of the oven at 500°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350°F Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161°F A 14 pound bird should require about a total of 2 to 2 1.2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest. min of 15/20 minutes before serving. Tent the bird while resting.
- 7Enjoy a brined turkey.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brining a Young Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18883.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 20.4 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: