Recipe by CHEF GRPA
I like to do this for Christmas morning instead of standing at the stove, and thank goodness - everyone goes for seconds! Sausage, eggs, bread, and cheese snuggle down in a casserole, chill overnight, and bake in the morning. It's a hearty dish worth waking up for. This is the BEST breakfast casserole ever! I have made it several times for Christmas. This past weekend was my daughters high school prom and our house ended up being the "after party". I put out a spread for them including this casserole. The kids raved about it! My daughters bf asked me when I was going to make it again! So...I will be making it again this weekend! LOL! That was over 31 years ago !
Top Review by the great hunter
My wife and I made this on the weekend. We followed the instructions, but could not figure out all the changes at the end after 4. The only thing that we changed was using 1 1/2 cups of milk. This was good, but something didn't seem right. We will try this again with our own adjustments.
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350*F. (175*C).
- 4. Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325*F. (165*C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.
- My Note: This is a good basic recipe but I think it needs a little revamp. Here is the revamping I did -- I used 1 cup of Half and Half instead of 2 cups of milk (too soggy with that much milk) I used 6 eggs instead of 4 for a richer egg texture. I added 3 tbsns green onions to the milk/egg mixture. I used 6 slices of THICK texas toast and covered the bottom of the pan with it. I then put the cooked sausage over that. (Bob Evans Spicy Hot Sausage from Kroger) I then put 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese over that. Then I pour the egg/half and half/green onion mixture over that. I bake after letting it sit in the fridge for 8-12 hours at 350*F. for 25 minutes. I guess I should post a new recipe!
- My daughters UPDAT on this: Thay did do a few changes that I have picked up on here. Thay use the Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage, 6 eggs (I think I am going to try 8 next time), 1 1/2 Cups milk (I think I am going to try the full 2 Cups next time), I don't think I am going to use additional salt next time b/c I feel it is salty enough from the sausage and cheese. I use the mild cheddar, but I use 1 box of Marie Callendar Cheddar/Garlic croutons instead of the bread and that adds to the cheesy flavor. And I add a little bit more of the dried mustard. It is an excellent breakfast casserole!
- This dish is absolutely delicious! I doubled the recipe using 3 bags of Marie Callendar's Cheese & Garlic Croutons instead of plain bread, 20 eggs, 1/2 cup sliced scallions, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 6 cups of milk, 2 teaspoons mustard powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 pound each of Monterrey Jack and Mild Cheddar Cheese. I put shredded cheese on the top of it in the last 15 minutes of baking. I made this recipe for a Holiday Brunch at my place of employment and it won a prize for "Best Breakfast Casserole"! Thank you For the $1.oo Boss! Ha,Ha,Ha.