Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Trader Joes, I had it as a sample there and thought it was a great take on healthy grains for breakfast, very different from the porridge style quinoa recipes on here.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups water (or apple juice)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, diced
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries (can use cherries or raisins)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (almonds are wonderful too)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- cook quinoa in water or juice with cinnamon according to package. usually it is bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- cool a little and stir everything in.
- keep in the fridge and serve cold.
- this will keep for a few days in the fridge.
I made this exactly as listed (using water for cooking as I had no apple juice), and this is FANTASTIC! This is going to be a favorite in our house for a quick breakfast. It's easy to make and pop into the fridge for later. It was good warm, freshly made, AND after it had chilled. There's no sugar in it, but honestly it doesn't need it. The apples and cranberries lend it a nice sweetness and I don't even miss added sugar.