Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
The secret to making this simple and delicious dish is in the assembly. You always want the bread pieces to be touched by a tomato on one side and a piece of sausage on the other so it can soak up both of the flavors (see instructions below). You will need six, 12 inch metal skewers for this recipe. This is fantastic served over a platter of my Italian Marinated Vegetables with a nice big wedge of room temperature Smoked Gouda, a bottle of red Wine and a jug of Apple Cider.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 3 sweet Italian sausage, cut into twelve, 2 inch pieces
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into twenty four, 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Coat a baking sheet with the canola oil and place in the oven in the broil position.
- Pre-heat the oven to broil.
- Assemble each of the six skewers in the following order, making sure each piece on the skewer is gently pressed against each other: tomato, bread, sausage,bread, tomato, bread,sausage,bread, tomato (it is critical to the success of this dish that the skewers are assembled in this order).
- Place the skewers on the hot baking sheet and broil for 12 minutes, turning 3 times.
- You want the sausage browned and just cooked through (you want them nice and juicy) and the bread crusty. Since all ovens run differently, check one skewer for doneness.
- When done, remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately drizzle the skewers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.