Recipe by Chilicat
From the bread machine list on Yahoo.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
This is a lovely bread. Ends up looking more complicated than it really is. Tastes just like you'd expect it to with these ingredients - if you're a spinach, feta and kalamata olive fan - this is for you! I baked it for about 30 minutes in a bundt pan and it turned out great. Don't be tempted to add salt - it's plenty salty with these ingredients! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese (Feta with sun dried tomatoes or herbs are good also)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour or 3 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 10 ounces fresh spinach (See Note)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 garlic clove, Minced fine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, sliced
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure ingredients in to pan in the order typed. Select Dough cycle.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Wash spinach, shaking off excess water. Remove stems. Wilt in microwave, uncovered, at High temp for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring at half time. Squeeze out excess moisture and allow to cool. (if you use frozen make sure it is the chopped spinach).
- In a medium size bowl, gently mix together the spinach, butter, garlic, parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface, cover with a towel and let rise for 10 to 15 minutes. Roll out to a 18 X 15" rectangle.
- Spread filling mixture on dough to within 1/2" of the edges. Sprinkle with Feta cheese and the olives. Starting at long side, Tightly roll up like a jellyroll. Pinch seams to seal. Cut in half length wise with scissors to prevent crushing. Twist the sides together with the filling facing up -- Like twisting 2 strands of rope. Keeping the filling side up place in a Prepared tube pan. (lightly greased pan).
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm draft free area for 46 to 60 minutes. Or till about double in size. Brush with egg wash then sprinkle the parmesan cheese on it.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375°F for 45 to 55 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- Note: To use frozen chopped spinach drain real well and pat dry on paper towels.