4 hrs 30 mins
Culinary School Dropout's Note:
A delicious and easy way to make a perfect Challah for your Shabbat Dinner. Start it early so it has a chance to cool. It also makes terrific French Toast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place first seven ingredients into bread machine in the order recommended by bread machine manufacturer.
- 2Set the Machine to Sweet Dough or Dough (if no Sweet Dough option - if using raisins, use Dough Raisin setting adding raisins at appropriate time).
- 3After the Machine is done, let the dough rise again in the machine.
- 4Punch down dough.
- 5Take it out and put dough into an oiled bowl and cover it.
- 6Let stand for about an hour.
- 7Punch it down again and divide in half to make 2 medium loaves or make 1 large loaf.
- 8Divide dough into three sections per loaf and roll into ropes.
- 9Braid Challah*.
- 10Place braided Challah on greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for an hour.
- 11Before baking, brush with a beaten egg mixed with a little water or remaining egg white mixed with a little water. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
- 12Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- 13Place on wire rack to cool completely.
- 14* For Rosh Hashanah do not braid but form Challah into a round shape and add raisins (omit seeds).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Machine Challah
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.3
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 473.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g