Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We found this recipe in a cookbook belonging to DH's grandmother: 60th anniversary Slovak-American Cookbook produced by the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Union in 1952. It tastes just like the bread dumplings we ate in Prague. ZWT 3: Eastern Europe
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add beaten egg.
- Add the lukewarm water and mix well with wooden spoon.
- Add bread.
- Mix well and roll into oblong dumplings.
- Place into boiling water, cover and cook about 20 minutes, stirring once.
- (We just used two teaspoons to drop pieces of dough into the water without shaping them first, and it worked fine).
These are excellent little dumplings! I made them to serve with round steak and gravy, and it was a perfect combination. I will be making these again. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting a great recipe, Lucid.