Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my SIL Peg Kenaga. It is a White House recipe from 11/24/69
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 cups apples, cored, pared, and chopped
- 6 cups fresh bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute onions and celery until tender.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add the celery and onion.
- Toss lightly with a fork until well mixed.
- Put dressing in a covered greased baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour @ 350°F for 1 hour.
Delicious combination of apples, raisins, onion and celery in this stuffing. I used 8 thin boneless fast fry pork chops; placed the stuffing between two chops and tied them together with white kitchen string. I browned them lightly in a small amount of hot vegetable oil and placed them in an 8" square baking dish, with a little homemade chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. Covered and baked them at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until the chops were done. I added a little more chicken broth about half way through cooking time too. Served the chops with roasted potatoes that were baked in the oven at the same time, and added buttered carrots, cole slaw, and Apple Crisp for dessert. I will definitely make this stuffing again for chicken breasts, turkey, or even thin steaks for a rouladen recipe.
Made this to go along with your Sugar and Spice Turkey Breast With Peach Chutney! Both very tasty & enjoyable! Used Granny Smith apples along with sourdough bread cubes & low sodium salt! Everyone was happy with both recipes! Thanks for sharing with us! [Made & reviewed for an adopted chef in this Spring's PAC]