Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This yummy tea bread from Brazil can be served plain with butter or cream cheese or fancied up with an icing sugar glaze and a candied fruit garnish. The choice is yours!
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and brown sugar.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Gradually blend in the milk mixture, honey, eggs and vegetable oil.
- Turn the batter into a greased 8" x 4" loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until done, covering with foil the last 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool thoroughly.
- If desired, combine icing sugar and enough milk to make a glaze of spreading consistency; frost the cooled loaf.
- Decorate with candied fruit.
Hello all, Being from Brazil, I will share my thoughts/tips on this recipe: Although I have not yet made it, this is the recipe for "PÃ£o de Mel" (Honey Bread). This dough is actually baked in mounds (kind of like a thick cookie, or a biscuit) and after baked it is dipped in melted chocolate, then placed on waxed paper for the chocolate to set (this is the type you would buy in bakeries in Brazil). It is absolutely delicious! When making it at home, in order to make it simpler, a lot of people will bake it in a 9x13" pan and when it comes out of the oven (still hot) spread grated chocolate on top of the "bread" and allow it to melt, then let cool before cutting the bread into squares. Now I am craving PÃ£o de Mel! Will have to try Irmgard's recipe!
This recipe has many possiblities, however I'm going to adjust the baking time becasue I thought the loaf was a little dry. I made the powdered sugar glaze, added some pineapple preserves and chopped walnuts to give it a coffeecake appearance. It was very easy to make and despite the dryness I will try this one again. This is a keeper
Excellent rich flavor and aroma. Dangerous combination! :D TY Irmgard for posting!