Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple German recipe, posted for ZWT 2006.
- 8 bratwursts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Put the sausage into boiling water, remove from the heat and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Melt the butter over moderate heat in a large frying pan, add the bratwurst and cooking, turning often until they are brown on all sides.
- Add the water, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Add more water if needed.
- Put the sausages on a plate and cover.
- Beat the flour and salt into the sour cream.
- Add into the liquid remaining in the skillet.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring, for 5-8 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened and smooth.
- Do not boil.
- Serve over the bratwurst, either whole or sliced.
This was the something-easy I was looking for on a hot summer day. It made a great gravy for serving the sliced brats over rice. We thought the gravy was a bit on the tart side, perhaps something could be added to alter the flavor a bit. Otherwise it is pretty mellow, nice and simple.
My whole family liked this recipe. I was worried that my husband wouldn't like it b/c he doesn't like sour cream but the flavor is so different than straight sour cream. We have brats about once a month and this will add some variety to our menu.