Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was developed for the 11th RSC Contest. In the process of coming up with something totally different I ended up with this. I think the honey and brandy really accentuate the sweet strawberries and then mixed with the wine, mmmmm. I used a sweeter Chardonnay but any white wine would work. The strawberry mixture should be made up ahead of time so that it can cool. Cooking time does NOT include cooling time. I enjoy mine with a few ice cubes. This would be perfect for brunch or Valentine's Day.
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup strawberry, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup white wine
- ice (optional)
- 2 strawberries
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, blood orange juice, and sugar and heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the brandy and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add strawberries and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until the strawberries have lost their firmness.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When the stawberry mixture is cool, place in a blender and puree for one minute or until smooth. Add wine and stir.
- Pour into wine glasses (with ice if desired) and garnish with a ripe strawberry.
This was a lovely drink to serve for Valentine's Day. I doubled the recipe. I had to squeeze the blood oranges. Four of them gave me about a 1/2 cup of juice. I used a Riesling wine. It was perfect! It was even better the next day!
Wonderful recipe. I used a chardonnay for this. I will definitely be making this again. made for ZWT 6.
Very good, but potent! If you don't drink a lot, this will make enough for 4 people. I skipped the honey, since I used sciacchetra, a sweet wine from Cinque Terre. The flavors here work very well together.