Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a new twist on an old favourite...pie and vanilla ice cream.This brandied mincemeat ice cream is great served with apple or pumpkin pie and the spiked custard sauce drizzled over it all. If micemeat with rum and brandy isn't available just add a little bottled rum or brandy to some plain mincemeat.I do use the mincemeat with rum and brandy in it, but I like to add a little more.
- Chill a 5-cup ring mold.
- Line evenly with plastic wrap.
- Stir together ice cream and mincemeat in large bowl until blended, but not melted.
- Spoon into mold.
- Cover with foil and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- Custard Sauce: Whisk together sugar, salt and yolks in small, heavy saucepan.
- Heat together cream and milk in another saucepan until bubbles appear around edges of liquid.
- Gradually mix hot liquid into yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, but gently, until mixture almost reaches a boil; do not boil.
- Steam will appear and mixture will be slightly thicker than heavy cream.
- Strain into a bowl.
- Cool;stir in cognac and vanilla.
- Store in frige until ready to serve.
- Unmold ice cream onto serving plate.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Serve individual portions of ice cream with sauce spooned on top.
- Sauce can be stored, covered, in the frige for up to five days.