1 hr 15 mins
I found this off of Recipegoldmine.com and couldn't find it on here. This is a staple in our kitchen!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 of a medium-sized head)
- 2 tart apples, cored and sliced thin, but not peeled (i.e. Jonathans)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 -1 1/2 lb bratwurst (or German style smoked sausage links)
- 1 lb new potato
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup beer (not to drink, it's for the recipe)
- 1Melt the bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring often, until sugar browns (about 4 minutes).
- 2Reduce the heat to medium low, add the onion, and saute it until golden.
- 3Add cabbage, apples, vinegar and caraway seeds. Stir to blend.
- 4Place sausage links and potatoes on top of cabbage mixture.
- 5Season with salt and pepper, then pour beer all over.
- 6Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 7Taste to adjust seasonings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Red Cabbage, Apples, and Brats
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.3
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 83.9 mg
- Sodium 989.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: