Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Wonderfully savory, peppery-sweet dish from Nancy Harmon Jenkins' "Flavors of Puglia." This is a great starter or side.
- 4-6 fennel bulbs, large, quartered (or 1 dozen very small "baby" bulbs)
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1 small dried red chili pepper, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Drop in fennel quarters or whole "baby" bulbs. Return to boil and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until the fennel is tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan large enough to hold all the fennel, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add garlic, anchovies and chile pepper.
- Cook gently until garlic has softened.
- Mash the anchovy bits into the oil to make a paste.
- Add fennel and continue cooking, stirring to coat the fennel with the garlicky, peppery oil.
- Cook together, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Spoon fennel from pan onto a serving plate, and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve hot, or let cool to slightly warmer than room temperature.
Fennel braised in olive oil, garlic and anchovies! This is SO ITALIAN AND SO FLAVORFUL!! I do realize it's not for everyone, like my husband for example. But that only means there is more for me!