2 hrs 10 mins
Queen Dragon Mom's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Salt and pepper the duck liberally on both sides.
- 2Place each half, skin side down, in a large, heavy-bottomed (preferably cast-iron) pan.
- 3Wedge the thyme and garlic under the skin.
- 4Cover the pan with its lid or with foil, and place it over low heat.
- 5Braise for one hour (duck should crackle and sizzle gently; skin should be golden and crisp; most fat should be rendered).
- 6Turn duck.
- 7Cover pan.
- 8Braise for another hour, until duck bottom is well browned and meat is quite tender.
- 9Remove duck to a cutting board; with a poultry shear, halve the halves.
- 10Place two tablespoons of the reserved fat from the pan into a clean saute pan, and heat the pan to medium high.
- 11Place duck pieces skin side down, and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, just until skin turns crisp and dark.
- 12Transfer to a dish.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Duck
Serving Size: 1 (609 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3677.2
- Calories from Fat 3215
- Total Fat 357.2 g
- Saturated Fat 120.0 g
- Cholesterol 690.0 mg
- Sodium 573.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 104.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: