Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
A quick easy recipe to use up that extra head of celery. Great with grilled meat or stuffed pancakes. From Roz Denny and Christine Ingram's "The Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and Vegetarian Cooking"
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a medium sized shallow oven proof dish.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the celery for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 3-4 T of water to the pan, heat gently and then cover and simmer over a gentle heat for 5-6 minutes until the celery is nearly tender and the water has almost evaporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the goat's cheese and cream.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, and then turn into the oven dish.
- Cover the dish with buttered greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Loved this..the small change I made was adding and frying a small clove of garlic and medium onion together with the celery. Thanks!!
What a great way to use an underrated veggie! Don't forget to include those tasty leaves! The goat cheese (I used chevre) goes so well with the celery. I did add some onion, but made no other changes. I removed the cover during the end of baking time. Thanx for a new celery recipe!
Fantastic - this wasn't too heavy at all & the celery tasted great & not mushy at all. I also added 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic just before frying the celery.