Pesto sauce (for pizza especially)
photo by Dr. Jenny
- Ready In:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Puree until the mixture forms a smooth, thick paste.
- Topping ideas for pesto pizza: Sliced crimini mushrooms.
- Reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes.
- Sliced black olives.
- Shaved Parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love the addition of parsley, red pepper & lemon. The flavor is much brighter. While waiting for the nuts to cool, I threw the rest of it in the food processor & tasted as I went along. Surprisingly, I liked it MUCH better without the pine nuts. Saving this recipe to finish off my bumper crop of basil. Thanks for posting!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
bok bok, bok bok bok bok.