Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the first bread I ever made when I was a kid. I consider it fail-proof, and it's very good. Preparation time doesn't include rising time.
- Into hot milk, stir sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in bowl.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Stir in lukewarm milk mixture.
- Add 2 eggs and 3 cups flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon gradually beat in 3 1/2 cups flour and mix with hand until dough is stiff enough to leave the side of the bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic.
- Place dough in lightly greased large bowl.
- Turn dough over to bring up greased side.
- Cover with towel and let rise for 1 1/2 hours in warm place.
- Divide dough in half and cut each half into thirds.
- Roll each third into 26" long strips.
- Braid three strips and pinch ends together.
- On a large greased cookie sheet, form braid into a ring (6 inches in diameter).
- Mix egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush top.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brush with rest of egg mixture and put sesame or poppy seeds on top.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.
This bread was wonderful! I hadn't made homemade bread in a long time time, and forgot not only how much fun it is to make, but how the whole house smells like a bakery while it's in the oven!! Very good recipe! We loved it!! :)