Recipe by Sue Lau
This is supposedly how they serve steak out on the safari trail but I wouldn't know, since I have never been there. 4zwt
- 1 cup lager beer
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh ginger
- 2 peri-peri or 2 Thai peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 8 large whole garlic cloves, sliced
- 32 ounces beef tenderloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (for cooking)
- black pepper
- 4 banana leaves (optional)
- fresh hot chili pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beer, 1/2 cup oil, soy sauce, ginger, peppers, paprika, black pepper, coriander and garlic; mix well; marinate steaks in this for at least 6 hours.
- Drain steaks and pat dry. Bring to room temperature before cooking. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot (it may smoke so you may want to have ventilation). Add the steaks and cook until desired doneness, 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare (depending on thickness). You could opt to sear them and finish in the oven, but obviously, ovens are hard to find out in the bush.