Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe adapted from Kraft Kitchens. These are impressive little cupcakes that taste just like a boston cream pie or chocolate eclair
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 ounce vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix (4-serving size)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping, divided
- 4 baker's semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Prepare cake batter and bake in 24 greased medium muffin pan cups as directed on package. Cool 10 minute in pans. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 minute or until well blended. Let stand 5 minute to thicken. Meanwhile, using a serrated knife, cut cupcakes horizontally in half. Gently stir 1/2 cup of the whipped topping into pudding.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoons of the pudding mixture onto bottom half of each cupcake; cover with top of cupcake.
- MICROWAVE remaining 1 cup whipped topping and the chocolate in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 minute or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Frost each cupcake with about 1-1/2 teaspoons of the chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minute before serving. Store leftover cupcakes in refrigerator.
A nice change of pace from creating a Boston Cream Pie as a whole. I used the silicone liners instead of paper and they worked great with these cupcakes. I also used semi-sweet chocolate chips for the topping as that is what I had on hand. Made exactly 24 mini pies! Thanks V! Made for the Zaar Cookbook Tag Game '08.
This was great.. I would make cupcakes without liners next time.. I think an attractive presentation would be to arrange the finished cupcakes in a circle on a plate- to form a ring. I also think the recipe would be just fine making in round cake pans. Very easy and impressive.. I used some choc chips in lieu of the choc squares.
These are soooooo yummy! I couldn't stop eating the darned things!! They take a little time to make but it's worth it. Despite all the tinkering, the pies hold together quite well once refrigerated. I especially love the chocolate ganache-like frosting!