Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic cream filled cake dessert.
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sponge Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and line the bottom of an 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar on high speed for about five minutes, or until they are thick, fluffy and light colored, at this point beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift 1/2 of the flour over the batter and gently fold through with a rubber spatula.
- Sift the remaining flour over the batter and fold together.
- Whisk about 1/2 cup of the batter into the melted butter and then gently fold the butter mixture back into the rest of the batter.
- Pour immediately into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Run a spatula or sharp knife around the inside of the pan and then invert the cake onto a wire rack. Remove parchment paper.
- Pastry Cream: In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl, mix the sugar and egg yolks. Sift the flour and cornstarch together and then add to the egg mixture, mixing until you get a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan bring the milk to boiling over medium heat. Remove from heat and add slowly to the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling.
- Place the egg mixture back into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly.
- When it boils, continue to whisk constantly for another 30 - 60 seconds until it becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into a clean bowl and immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming.
- Let the cream cool in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Chocolate Glaze: Place the chopped chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Bring the cream just to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for a 3-5 minutes.
- Stir until smooth. Set aside for a few minutes until it has thickened to pouring consistency.
- To Assemble: With a serrated knife slice the cake in half horizontally.
- Remove the top half and set it aside.
- Place the bottom half on your serving plate, cut side up.
- Pour or spoon the pastry cream onto the cake, spreading to make an even layer.
- Place the top half of the cake (cut side down) onto the filling.
- Pour the glaze onto the center of the cake and carefully spread the glaze, with a spatula, to the edges of the cake.
- Refrigerate a few hours before serving to allow the glaze to set and flavors to mingle.