1/1 Photo of Boston Cream Cupcakes
Cupcakes are coming into their own. Here in California, many new brides are choosing wedding cakes composed of intricate arrangements of hundreds of cupcakes! This especially delicious little morsel comes courtesy of Elizabeth Falkner, pastry chef-owner of Citizen Cupcake in San Francisco and was published recently in the local paper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
For pastry cream filling
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
For chocolate glaze
- 1To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer; add vanilla and eggs.
- 3Sift dry ingredients together and add in 3 stages, alternating with the buttermilk.
- 4Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- 5Fill each about three-quarters full with batter.
- 6Bake 15-20 minutes.
- 7To make pastry cream: Bring milk just to boil in medium saucepan.
- 8Whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch together in a bowl.
- 9Stir just a little of the hot milk into the egg mixture to equalize the temperatures.
- 10Add a little more hot milk to the egg mixture and stir well again.
- 11Then add all of the hot milk and stir.
- 12Return mixture to saucepan; whisk over low heat constantly until mixture becomes thick.
- 13Pour pastry cream into clean bowl and whisk in vanilla.
- 14Whisk in butter 1 ounce at a time until smooth.
- 15Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill until cool.
- 16Fold whipped cream into chilled pastry cream.
- 17To make chocolate glaze: Bring cream and corn syrup to boil.
- 18Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.
- 19Let hot cream sit on the chocolate for about 5 minutes.
- 20Stir until chocolate is dissolved and smooth.
- 21Stir in butter.
- 22To assemble: Fill pastry bag with pastry cream; poke tip of pastry bag into top of each cupcake and inject each with some pastry cream.
- 23OR slice each cupcake in half horizontally and spread some pastry cream in between layers.
- 24OR remove a cone-shaped section from center of cupcake, fill hole with pastry cream and then replace cake piece.
- 25Drizzle chocolate glaze over top of each cupcake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Cream Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.2
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 128.4 mg
- Sodium 129.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g