This is a recipe from Milwaukee,Wisconsin. It is is a favorite of mine. I bake it in cans, so the loaves are round. Very nice when you make up GOODIE baskets, especially liked by elderly people.
- Put dates, raisins, oleo, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over this mixture. Mix then let cool.
- Beat 2 eggs, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add the cooled mixture alternately with the flour.Stir in nuts.
- Bake in 3-1# cans that have been well greased.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then run a butter knife around the inside edge of can to loosen bread. Pull out gently and wrap while still partly warm in plastic wrap. This keeps the round loaves moist.
- These freeze well. When baking these, I usually double the recipe and freeze half for gifts.
- This is delicious! It does not taste at all like the can stuff in the store.