1/4 Photos of Boston Brown Bread
out of here's Note:
This is a recipe from Milwaukee,Wisconsin. It is is a favorite of mine. I bake it in cans, so the loaves are round. Very nice when you make up GOODIE baskets, especially liked by elderly people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put dates, raisins, oleo, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- 2Pour the boiling water over this mixture. Mix then let cool.
- 3Beat 2 eggs, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- 4Add the cooled mixture alternately with the flour.Stir in nuts.
- 5Bake in 3-1# cans that have been well greased.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- 7Cool slightly, then run a butter knife around the inside edge of can to loosen bread. Pull out gently and wrap while still partly warm in plastic wrap. This keeps the round loaves moist.
- 8These freeze well. When baking these, I usually double the recipe and freeze half for gifts.
- 9This is delicious! It does not taste at all like the can stuff in the store.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 245.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: