Recipe by Britt O's sweetie pie
This is a recipe I got back in the 80's from the Bossier City (Louisiana)Police Dept cookbook. I have made it for years and everyone always loves it and request the recipe. It is a delicious old fashion bread pudding. The recipe notes that it was a favorite among the police chiefs at their convention in New Orleans.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons oleo
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bread in milk and crush with hands until well mixed.
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well.
- Melt butter and pour into 9 x 13 pan Add pudding mixture and bake at 350 until very firm (my oven takes about 35 minutes).
- Let cool then cube pudding. When ready to serve add sauce and heat under broiler.
- Cooking whiskey sauce.
- Cook sugar and butter in double broiler until very hot and well dissolved. Then add in well beaten egg and whip real fast so egg does not curdle. Let cool and add whiskey to taste.