Recipe by chia
this is a quick side dish , courtesy of the NY Times.
Top Review by thebigfunk
Made this with "General Tso's Tofu" (vegan version)... substituted a tiny bit of soy sauce for the fish sauce. Came out really well. Next time, I'll double the recipe and use leftovers for a stirfry/fried rice.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 -6 heads baby bok choy or 1⁄2 head regular bok choy, leaves and stems separated and stems roughly chopped
- 10 small shiitake mushrooms, caps only,left whole
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup water (or more)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Put wok or large skillet over maximum heat, and add oil.
- When oil smokes, add garlic.
- Stir once, and add the bok choy.
- Cook for a minute or two until it just begins to brown.
- Then stir, and add shiitakes and sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, a minute or two, and add the chicken stock and fish sauce.
- Cook, stirring, until the bok choy is tender.
- Add a bit more stock or water if necessary the mixture should not dry out entirely.
- Serve immediately.