Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
This seems complicated, but when you have made it once, it really isn't. This is a huge favourite and also the meal my eldest asks for every birthday. I serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and usually asparagus because that is his fave or broccoli au gratin.
- 5 lbs boneless filet of beef
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
- 2 (8 ounce) packages foie gras pate (pate de foie-I use the pepper variety)
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; heat half the oil and butter in a pan and brown beef on all sides. Place in roasting pan, dot with remaining butter and roast for 10 minutes -- longer if you want it more well done.
- Remove and let stand until cooled. Remove string.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place paté in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Roll out puff pastry 1/2 inch thick, large enough to completely envelop the roast.
- Spread paté over top and sides of filet. Place filet, paté side down on pastry. Spread remaining paté on the top of the filet.
- Brush one side of the pastry with egg. Fold unbrushed over meat; fold together and press.
- Brush entire pastry with egg and bake for 40 minutes -- increasing by 5 minutes for more well done.