Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My husband and I love chili. This one is non-traditional but we loved the blend of spices. Very different. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Jeanne Strunk
I have made this recipe since it was first published in Southern Living waaay back in the late 1990's and it is a wonderful recipe that tastes better the longer it cooks. However you are missing the part of the original recipe that sent your taste buds over the moon. There is a topping that went with the original recipe for a spicy sour cream topping and trust me when I say it takes this recipe to a whole other level. Here is the recipe for this topping taken from the SL cookbook it was published in:<br/><br/>1 (8 oz) carton of sour cream<br/>1/2 cup salsa<br/>2 TBSP Mayonnaise<br/>1 tsp chili powder<br/>1/2 tsp onion powder<br/>1/2 tsp curry powder<br/>Dash of ground red pepper<br/>1 TBSP lemon juice<br/>1 tsp Dijon mustard<br/><br/>combine all ingredients; cover and chill while the chili cooks. top your chili with a dollop of this and shredded cheddar cheese = Chili heaven! <br/> Yield: 1 2/3 cups
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the first 8 ingredients; cook and stir continuously until the meat is browned; drain and return mixture to the pot.
- Add in the next 14 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours; stir occasionally.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded cheddar cheese.