Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a wonderfully tasty giant sausage roll of sorts. Its perfect for a little brunch or dinner... heck, anytime. It freezes really well too as long as its wrapped up tight. Serves 6 nicely along side a salad etc. Of course I like it so much that I eat about 1/2 of it all too myself. *I use a prepared package of Tenderflake Puff Pastry. I don't know the actual size of it so I'm just guessing at 500g.... really this can be made into any size you want*
- 500 g puff pastry, frozen
- 4 -8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- Remove package of puff pastry from freezer 2 hours before cooking time.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit edged cookie sheet.
- Poke paper with shark knife to provide drainage.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain. Cool and crumble.
- Combine bacon, onion and mushrooms in a large bowl. Add cold, uncooked sausage meat to bowl and mix well.
- Roll out puff pastry to edges of floured paper.
- Spread the meat mixture down the middle of the pastry.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Cut the exposed pastry on each long side into 1 inch strips about 3 inches deep.
- Fold each end up over filling, then lay the strips from each side alternately over the top to produce a braided effect.
- Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake on paper on rack on cookie sheet at 375 F for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Alternatively if you want to cut the time down you can brown the meat, onion and mushrooms and then assemble.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 min and then at 375 F for 20 minute.
- You can add peppers if you want as well.
The whole family really liked this one. I used hot sausage because we like it spicy. Will definitely use this one again. Thanks, saylaveev, for posting.