Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is great as is but is also good with pecans instead of walnuts. Also really good with raspberries,almond extract instead of vanilla and add orange zest - with or without nuts.
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into butter mixture. Add yogurt and mix; gently stir in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. Pour half the cake batter into a buttered and floured 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture and top with the remaining batter.
- Combine the remaining brown sugar mixture with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Great cake. I made it exactly as written, except for pecans instead of walnuts. Would be a 5 star but I had some issue with the directions saying "pour" the batter. It was absolutely NOT pourable and had to be spread, so thick! And it was a little challenging to spread the top layer as well. Either way, it baked up fine but probably only 30-35 minutes were needed.
This cake is fantastic, exactly how I like it!!! Not overly sweet, fruity and nutty - great. Made it with gluten free flour mix which consisted of tapioca starch, glutinous rice flour, rice flour, ragi flour, walnut meal (defatted). Also I used soy yoghurt and margarine, and instead of the granulated sugar rice syrup. Made it with pecans as suggested because I had no walnuts. Lacking an 8 inch pan, I used a round 9 inch springform, so the cake maybe is a little flatter than it should, but that doesn't affect the taste a t all :D Thanks for posting, this will be a keeper!! Made for Sweet Traditions Tag Game November 2009.