Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Simple French Vanilla Ice Cream with chunks of homemade blueberry pie folded into the classic dessert.
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 1 French vanilla ice cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the Blueberry Pie:.
- Gently mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer them to the chilled bottom crust of the pie pan. Dot with butter pieces. Place the 2nd 9" pie crust of the same size and thickness as the first on top of the berry filling. Tuck the top dough over and under the edge of the bottom dough, and crimp the edges with your fingers. Heat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk egg and milk together to make an egg wash.
- Brush the top with egg wash. Score the pie on the top with 4 cuts (so steam can escape while cooking). Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven with a parchment paper or baking pan positioned on the lower rack to catch any filling that may bubble over. Bake for 20 minutes at 425°. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before serving.
- For French Vanilla Ice Cream:.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a large saucepan.
- Add sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Mixture should coat the spoon.
- Cool, then add cream and vanilla.
- Mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- Follow standard procedures for your ice cream maker or simply pour in a metal bowl and freeze.
- Combine half of the blueberry pie in with the ice cream and fold together. Continue to freeze.
- Enjoy your blueberry pie ice cream.