Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A nice and cool way to end an elegant dinner or just to have a frozen blueberry treat!
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water (divided)
- BLUEBERRY PUREE.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine blueberries, lemon zest and 1 cup water.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until blueberries are very soft.
- Set a fine strainer over bowl. Strain mixture, pressing with the back of a large spoon.
- Stir lemon juice into puree and chill.
- SUGAR SYRUP.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. (2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer to a bowl and chill.
- ONCE CHILLED.
- Stir sugar syrup into blueberry puree.
- Pour mixture into a shallow pan.
- Freeze blueberry mixture until ice crystals form around edges of pan ( about 45 to 60 minutes).
- Using a fork, scrape the ice crystals from the edges and stir into mixture.
- Freeze mixture until fully frozen (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring several times).
- This is very pretty served in small fancy glasses and garnishished with crisp cookies (like a lemon wafer) and more fresh blueberries if desired.
The flavor was soft and delicate. Lemon was there but didn't overpower this luscious dessert. A perfect ending to such a hot day. Thanks for sharing!
This is perfect--the absolute essence of blueberries--and it's so pretty! The lemon is just the right amount to really emphasize the blueberry flavor without making this a lemony dessert. Just lovely, Chef Mommie!