Recipe by DJM
One would never guess that the filling is buttermilk. Allow for 90 minutes of chilling for the shell.
Top Review by Jules127
This crust is so simple!! Much easier than pie crust. I made it for friends so I didn't actually taste this, but they told me it was delicious. I found this recipe here after seeing all the rave reviews on epicurious. I can't wait to make this again for ourselves!
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk, well stirred
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups picked over fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the tart shell: In a food processor, or with a pastry blender, mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the butter and blend until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the yolk mixture, toss until liquid is incorporated.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Dust the dough with flour.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, fit it into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable rim.
- Chill the formed tart shell for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the chilled shell with foil, fill it with the pastry weights or rice, and bake the shell for 25 minutes, until it is a pale golden color.
- Cool the shell in its pan on a rack.
- Make the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the buttermilk,egg yolks, sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, melted butter, vanilla, salt and the flour just until smooth.
- Remove the pastry weights and foil from the shell.
- Place the tart shell on a baking sheet.
- Spread the blueberries in the shell and pour the buttermilk mixture over.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the filling is just set.
- Let the tart cool completely.
- Sprink with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.