1 hr 20 mins
This recipe came from our PBS-TV station Cook-a-thon. It s such a wonderful dessert! Just like Strudel but easier! Great way to use fresh/frozen blueberries. Dust lightly with powdered sugar and add a little Whipped Cream...Yum! Serve with French Vanilla Ice Cream for a real treat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen phyllo dough (defrosted in refrigerator)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups blueberries, rinsed and drained dry
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- whipping cream or whipped topping
- 1Combine Sugar, Water and Cornstarch in a saucepan,cooking over low heat.
- 2Stirring constantly until this begins to thicken.
- 3Whie stirring well, add half of the blueberries.
- 4When this mixture become very thick, add the lemon juice, the 2 Tablespoons of butter and the nutmeg.
- 5Continue cooking over low heat until the butter melts.
- 6Remove from heat and add the other half of the blueberries.
- 7Set this aside.
- 8Butter a 13x9 glass baking dish and preheat the oven to 350°.
- 9Remove the Phyllo from the plastic wrapper, leaving it in a tight roll.
- 10Cut the dough in 1/4 inch slices.
- 11Separate and loosen the rolls into loose shreds.
- 12Place one half of the shredded phyllo in a large bowl.
- 13Gradually and lightly drizzle half of the melted butter over the shreds.
- 14With your hands, toss to coat.
- 15Place coated Phyllo dough in bottom of the baking pan.
- 16Spread all of the cooled Blueberry mixture over the layer of Phyllo.
- 17In a bowl,butter the remaining half of the Phyllo dough, tossing with your hands to coat the dough.
- 18Place this over the Blueberries layer, covering completely.
- 19Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- 20Remove the foil and continue baking until the Phyllo is crispy, 25-30 more minutes.
- 21Remove the Strudel from the oven and cool.
- 22To Serve, dust lightly with confectioners sugar or top with Whipped Cream or Whipped Topping.
- 23Better yet, use both!
- 24Is delicious with French Vanilla Ice Cream.
- 25You may serve this at room temperature, or warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Bird's Nest Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 186.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g