Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I confess to making breakfast for dinner for my family at least once a week, and I do not feel one ounce of guilt about it. :) This recipe is by far their favorite. These pancakes are lightly almond-flavored with juicy, bursting warm blueberries. Garnishing with cinnamon-toasted almonds adds a nice crunch and depth of flavor.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat. Preheat oven to low heat (180 F - 200 F).
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk one egg until frothy. Then add milk, oil and almond extract; then whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and whisk in the wet ingredients all at once.
- Using a 1/4 cup sized measuring cup, pour batter onto a hot, greased skillet/griddle over medium heat, leaving enough space between each pancake for them to expand.
- Immediately place six blueberries (evenly spaced) on top of each pancake.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes or until surface begins to bubble and edges appear slightly dry. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown. To keep pancakes hot until ready to serve, place on a heat-resistant plate in the oven on low heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a small skillet to medium heat. Toast the slivered almonds, stirring often, until fragrant and light brown in color (around 8-10 minutes). Remove from heat, immediately sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, toss to evenly incorporate and set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve pancakes hot with butter, maple syrup and toasted almonds sprinkled on top.