Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious version of the rich red velvet cake!
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1⁄2 cup softened butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 8 tablespoons blue food coloring
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first seven ingredients.
- Slowly add food coloring.
- Mix at high speed.
- Filling (pudding), follow instructions as written on the box.
- Oil and slightly flour two 8" or 9" baking pans.
- Halfway fill each pan with batter, then add filling, and fill pan with batter.
- Bake for at least 45-60 minutes.
- Insert toothpick in center of cake.
- If toothpick comes out clean, then it is done.
- Cool, and then frost.
- Cover each layer with chopped walnuts, pecans and almonds.
- Then cover frosted cake with remainder of chopped nuts.