This is an awesome recipe we made up. It is tried and true. I got this recipe from piemaking in Canada, where we went out blueberry picking. These should be fresh picked wild berries. I think you probably substitute Saskatoon berries, as well. Yummy!
- Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make sure the berries are covered with the dry goods.
- Pour berry mixture into first pie shell, then cover with other crust.
- Using a knife, cut a design into the top of the pie, leaving a small hole in the center.
- Brush with egg yolks, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 350* oven for 45 - 60 minutes. Yeay!
- Your pie is done- let it cool, then dig in!
first time baking a fruit pie. I followed the recipe exactly using a from scratch pie dough. was delicious.
I have baked this pie to years in a row it is vert yummy. I added an extra cup of blueberries to make it really full. The only thing both times I have made it it is very soupy,last year I used flour this year I used cornstach, next time I am going to use minute tapioca. No matter what is was delicious. I also sprinkled a little sugar on the top of the crust. I will definetely make again.
Not rating just now...just a comment about using Saskatoon berries...you are best to simmer the berries until just tender, drain and cool and then proceed with the recipe. I used to dislike Saskatoon berry pies that my mother made because the berries were always a little hard and underdone in texture, but when I made my own pie I decided to simmer the berries until tender and...SUCCESS!