Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
With garden-fresh basil, this salad is easy, but mouth-watering.
- 1 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 -5 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 1⁄2 cups grape tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
- In another large skillet, melt butter. Add bread cubes; cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels; cool.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and reserved drippings. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons.
A wonderful salad with lots of flavour served with baked chicken.Thanks looney!!
Everyone loved this salad. Served it with 153163 (Monterey Barbecue Chicken) Had many requests for the recipe. Great flavor with the fresh basil. Only change I made was that I used a hunk of french bread with the crusts as I was serving that bread with my meal, and i didn't have any reg.white bread. Delicious!!!! Thanks looney.
Loved this recipe. I used the recipe as stated other than using a day old cubed french stick rubbed with garlic to make the croutons. My favourite BLT salad so far!!!! Especially loved the freshness of the dressing. I may cut down a little on the mayonnaise next time as a personal preference only.